< Return to Religious Affiliation of U.S. Congress
< Return to Famous Disciples of Christ
The Religious Affiliation of U.S. Congressman
Rep. John Tanner
Rep. John Tanner is a member of the Stone-Campbell denomination known as the "Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)", whose members typically identify themselves as "Disciples of Christ."
From: "Candidate Profile from Congressional Quarterly: John Tanner", in "All Politics" section of CNN.com website (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/1998/states/TN/H/08/john.tanner.html; viewed 1 December 2005):
John Tanner (D) of Union City
Incumbent - elected 1988
- Born: September 22, 1944, Halls.
- Education: U. of Tennessee, B.S., 1966, J.D., 1968.
- Military Service: Navy, 1968-72; National Guard, 1974-present.
- Occupation: Lawyer; businessman.
- Family: Wife, Betty Ann Portis; two children.
- Religion: Disciples of Christ.
- Political Career: Tenn. House, 1977-89
Webpage created 1 December 2005. Last modified 1 December 2005.
We are always striving to increase the accuracy and usefulness of our website. We are happy to hear from you. Please submit questions, suggestions, comments, corrections, etc. to: firstname.lastname@example.org.