Todd Tiahrt (R) of GoddardFrom: "Congressional Races - Kansas District 4" page in "All Politics" section of CNN.com website (http://cgi.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/candidates/election.guide/text/KS04.shtml; viewed 1 December 2005):
Incumbent - elected 1994
- Born: June 15, 1951, Vermillion, S.D.
- Education: Evangel College, B.A., 1975; Southwest Missouri State U., M.B.A., 1989.
- Military Service: None.
- Occupation: College instructor; airline company manager.
- Family: Wife, Vicki Holland; three children.
- Religion: Assembly of God.
- Political Career: Republican nominee for Kan. House, 1990; Kan. Senate, 1993-95.
Todd Tiahrt (R)See also: top contributors (Assemblies of God is prominent among the top contributors to his campaigns)
BORN: June 15, 1951, Vermillion, S.D.
EDUCATION: Evangel College, B.A., 1975; Southwest Missouri State U, M.B.A., 1989
FAMILY: Wife, Vicki; three children
RELIGION: Assembly of God
OCCUPATION: College instructor; airline-company manager
POLITICAL CAREER: Kansas Senate, 1992-94; U.S. House, 1994-
A South Dakota farm boy and Christian conservative, Tiahrt has proposed abolishing the Department of Energy and supports the G.O.P.'s Medicare Preservation Act, which would have trimmed Medicare's growth by $270 billion over seven years. His victory in 1994 was considered an upset, and Tiahrt has a tough opponent in U.S. attorney Randy Rathbun.